– Discover Your GOD Given Worth- June Hunt
People with low self-worth often struggle to get past the circumstance that was the breeding ground for their low self-esteem. But in order to put the pieces of our broken life back together, it is necessary for us to forgive those who had grievously wronged us. The Bible says,
” Bearing with one another and if one has a complaint against another, forgive each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.” (Colossians 3:13)
Because the issue of forgiveness is such a stumbling block to so many people, let’s understand what…
- Forgiveness is not:
- -Forgiveness is not circumventing God’s justice… God will execute His justice in His time and in His way.
- -Forgiveness is not letting the guilty off the hook…It is moving from your hook onto God’s hook.
- -Forgiveness is not excusing sinful behavior…God says the offense is without excuse.
- -Forgiveness is not stuffing your anger….It is resolving your anger by releasing it to God.
- -Forgiveness is not being a door-mate…It is being like Christ-He is certainly not a door-mate!
- -Forgiveness is not forgetting…It is essential to remember in order to forgive.
- -Forgiveness is not a feeling….It is an act of the will.
” You have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised.” (Hebrews 10:36)
. Make a list of all persons you need to forgive.
-Write down all offenses committed by each person.
-In prayer, one by one, release each offense to God.
-Take each offense off of your emotional hook and put them all onto God’s hook.
-Then take the offender off of your “hook” and put that person onto God’s hook.
. Forgiveness is:
– Forgiveness is dismissing a debt owed to you….It is releasing the offender from the obligation to repay you.
– Forgiveness is giving up the option of holding on to the offense…It is giving the offense to God.
– Forgiveness is extended even if it is never requested or earned….It is in no way dependent on any action by the offender.
– Forgiveness is extending mercy….It is not giving the offender what is deserved.
-Forgiveness is to set the offender free from you….It is to also set you free from the offender and free from bondage to bitterness.
-Forgiveness is changing your thinking about the offender….It is seeing the offender as someone in need of forgiveness just as you are in need of forgiveness.
” To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness for we have rebelled against Him”. (Daniel 9:9)
” Lord Jesus, thank You for caring about how much I have been hurt. You know the pain I have felt because of (list each offense). Right now I release all that pain into Your hands. Thank You, Lord, for dying on the cross for me and extending Your forgiveness to me. As an act of my will, I choose to forgive (name). Right now, I take them off my emotional hook, and I place them on Your hook. I refuse all thoughts of revenge. I trust that in Your time and in Your way You will deal with them as You see fit. And Lord, thank You for giving me Your power to forgive so that I can be set free. In Your precious name, I pray. Amen!! Amen!!